So you’ve booked your trip to the Maldives...
Congratulations! You are about to embark on a trip of a lifetime.
My husband and I visited this beautiful resort in October 2018 for our honeymoon, and my GOSH is it truly paradise. However, there is a downside - the long journey to get there! (From the UK).
So, talking from recent experience, here are my top 5 tips to surviving your long haul travel day/s to the most luxurious destination on planet Earth...
1) Pack Lightly - So, your airline has given you 30KG of luggage - bonus! Unfortunately not... if you have an onward seaplane journey to your island, please be aware that the luggage allowance is only 20KG and not 30KG. If your case is overweight it may not get to you until up to 24 hours after you arrive to your final resort. Not ideal if you’ve travelled for 16 hours in a trackie- trust me.
2) Wear Flight Socks - OK so I know they’re a bit unsightly and not on trend. However, unless you are lucky enough to bag yourself a direct flight from Gatwick, the chances are you will have up to 3 flights to get to your island. The pressure from the flights can affect your body in a bad way, especially if you are preganant, overweight or struggle with circulation issues. So just grab a pair from your pharmacy before you go, otherwise you’ll end up with cankles the entire time... like I did. Boo.
3) Get A Face Mask - sounds a bit odd, but cruising at 43,000ft in the air in a compressed cabin can not only make you feel a bit groggy, but your skin too. I used the garnier sheet masks and my skin felt energised and I felt more awake getting off the flight. It was also a good way to feel relaxed and pampered especially if you are a nervous traveller like I was once. Although the flight attendants may throw you some dodgy looks.
4) Beware Of Data Roaming Costs - so after our first flight from BHX to DOHA, I thought I’d send my family a little WhatsApp to let them know I had landed safely. Then 02 sends me a text just as I’m boarding the airbus to Male to say I had been charged £48 for the privilege!! Check with your network provider before you leave the UK to see if they charge extra outside Europe. Otherwise make a mental note that your insta posts may cost you more than your trip to the Maldives! Another Boo.
5) Leave Your Sh*t in England - Literally. You are about to go on the most amazing holiday of your life. Leave all your problems/ woes/ issues at home. They will still be there when you get back (unfortunately) but you do not need any Becky or Susan’s ruining this for you. Enjoy the views and the all inclusive cocktails - you deserve it!
So there you have it - my top 5 tips for surviving what feels like the worlds longest flights. However the best is yet to come....
Look out for my post all about Trans Maldivian Airways. For those of you who don’t know I mean the seaplane. It’s amazing.
For a more visual encounter of our honeymoon in the Maldives, click the YouTube link below for my vlog, don’t forget to subscribe if you want to!
- Lea Bella x